Synergy Medical Welcomes...
Dr Joel Hommel BHK, MD, CCFP
Currently has a wait list for potential new patients.
Please contact the office directly for further information.
Synergy Centre - Working Together for your Health
WELCOME TO SYNERGY CENTRE, PART OF THE THAMES RIVER FAMILY HEALTH ORGANIZATION
Being enrolled with Dr. Maria Tetelbaum or Dr. Joel Hommel, you are part of the Thames River FHO (Family Health Organization). This group is represented by 7 physicians practicing in their private offices in London and surrounding areas. As a patient of one of these doctors, you have access to medical care during extended hours (9 am to 8 pm) and you can contact the Telephone Health Advisory Service, where your concerns are triaged and addressed by a registered nurse.
After hours (5 pm to 9 am) or on weekends and statutory holidays ( 24 hours) we encourage you to call the Telephone Health Advisory Service, at 1-866-553-7205 and the nurse, depending on the case, might advise you to go to the closest emergency room or might call the physician on call from the group for that night.
There are weekend clinics, Saturdays from 9-12, covered by rotation by one of the physicians in
the group. Every physician in the group covers one evening a week (5-8 pm)
Please note that the evening and weekend clinics are for medical emergencies only, they do not accommodate non urgent medical issues or paperwork related to WSIB or insurance/work coverage.
The evening and weekend clinics will be offered primarily to all rostered patients. According to the MOH regulations, patients who go to walk in clinics will be derostered. Their family doctor will continue to provide medical care for them but they will not have priority for the evening or weekend clinics as they elected to have their primary care with the walk in clinic.
For urgent medical concerns we strongly encourage you to first call YOUR doctor’s office or Telephone Health Advisory Service, or the evening clinics or go to the closest emergency room. Please do not go to walk in clinics. Unfortunately the walk in clinics do not have access to your medical information and they do not routinely send us any results of the blood work or imaging they might order for you.
During the regular office hours, we book same day appointments for urgent medical concerns.
The doctors forming the Thames River Family Health Organization are :
1. Dr. Alex Bohdanowicz, Dorchester, 519-268-7302 (covers Mondays and Wednesdays)
2. Dr. Henry Chapeskie, Thorndale, 519-461-0776 (covers Mondays and Tuesdays)
3. Dr. Susan Hiscock, St. Mary’s, 519-284-1280
4. Dr. Claudia Niesner, London, 519-850-3234 (covers Thursday evenings)
5. Dr. Victoria Soo, London, 519-473-6654 (covers Monday evenings)
6. Dr. Maria Tetelbaum, London, 519-266-3600 (covers Wednesday evenings) 7. Dr. Joel Hommel, London, 519-266-3600 (covers Tuesday evenings)
- Adult Care
- Prenatal Care (no deliveries)
- Newborn Care, Child and Adolescent Care
- Elderly Care (no nursing homes)
- Gynecology and Women’s Health (including PAPs, IUD insertion, endometrial biopsies, pessary fitting)
- Sports Medicine
- General Dermatology
- Minor Surgery (we use diode laser) Joint injections
- Palliative Care (no home visits, close CCAC follow ups)
- Psychotherapy (for mild anxiety and depression)
- Hospital Inpatient Care (at University Hospital)
- Preventive Medicine (adult immunization, cancer screening assessing cardiovascular risk, etc)
Preparing for a Visit
First Appointment will be 30 minutes. Please arrive 30 minutes earlier in order to complete registration and medical history forms. Bring your valid OHIP card and a list with your current medications and dosages.
Booking an Appointment All calls will be triaged by a team member, who will ask you the reason for the visit in order to book an appropriate time for your appointment. Regular appointments are scheduled for 10 minutes, for your main concern. Secondary concerns will be addressed if time permits; otherwise a follow-up appointment will be offered. Periodic health exams, procedures and counseling sessions need to be booked in advance and will be 20 – 30 minutes.
Same Day Urgent Visits We will make every effort to accommodate you if you are sick and need an urgent care appointment. Please call us BEFORE going to a walk-in clinic or emergency department.
Missed Appointment Policy 48 hours cancellation notice is required, or the patient could be charged for the missed visit. The office team members are not able to call or send reminders for regular appointments.
Phone Call Advice Receptionists are not qualified to offer medical advice. After hours nursing staff from the TeleHealth Advisory Service will offer phone advice when indicated. Only basic advice will be offered by telephone. The physician does not routinely offer medical assessments over the phone. The doctor reviews all test results. You will be called if there are any concerns, and the results will be discussed with you in the office to ensure you are given the appropriate interpretation and the opportunity to ask questions.
Prescription Renewals Any prescription renewals required before your initial appointment will have to be done at your present healthcare provider. Prescriptions are given in the office. We will always give enough medication to last until an office re-evaluation is indicated. Please call your pharmacy a minimum of 1 week before you run out of your medication, they will forward to us a request for renewal. If you provide the pharmacy less than 1 weeks notice, we cannot guarantee short notice renewals in time.
Referrals to Specialists Before any referral is arranged, patients must be seen by the family doctor for pre-consultation information gathering and investigations to facilitate a faster and more effective consultation.
Third Party Billing
FEE SCHEDULE FOR NONINSURED MEDICAL SERVICES
(Services Not Covered By OHIP Or WSIB)
There are services that you may request from your family doctor that are not considered medically necessary by OHIP and therefore not paid by OHIP. These are our fees as suggested by the Ontario Medical Association.
Drivers Medical Exam (physical+form) $180
Drivers Medical Exam Form only(a physical exam done in within 6 mo from MTO form) $60
Regular Visit (no or invalid OHIP card) $50
Physical Exam (no or invalid OHIP card) $100
Physical Examination Required by 3rd Party $150
Vaccine Injections (Zostavax, Hep A, A+B, Meningitis B, Gardasil for Boys) $15
Cryotherapy $50 per lesion
Cryotherapy Genital or Plantar warts $75 per field
Injection not covered by OHIP (ie. Knee injection- Hyaluronic acid) $15 per injection
Cosmetic Mole/Skin Tags Removal (with Laser) 1 Lesion $100
1-3 Lesion $200
Multiple Lesions $100 per field
Cosmetic Mole, Cysts, Lipomas Excision and Suture $150 to $500
Sick Note/Back to Work Note $25
Note for Massage Therapy/Orthotics/Physio $25
Immunization Forms for School/Employment(Includes TB Testing) $60
Daycare Note (Free of Communicable Disease) $25
School, Camp Physical (Form Only) $50
Pre-Employment Certificate of Fitness $50
Maternity Forms/EI Disability $25
Life Insurance – Attending Physician Statement $200
Private Insurance Short Term Disability $100
Private Insurance Long Term Disability $200
Transfer of Records (Photocopies) $50 – $100
Disability Tax Credit – Revenue Canada $60
Jury Duty Letter $25
Fitness Club Form $25
CAS Application for Prospective Foster Parents $60
Letter on Behalf of the Patient, depending on length $25 – $200
Travel Insurance Cancellation Form $60
Medical Report for Canadian Immigration $180
Death Certificate (For Insurance) $50
Medical Certificate for Compassionate Care Benefits $50
Car Insurance Forms $120
Letter for MTO Reinstatement of Driver’s License $100
MISSED APPOINTMENTS WILL BE CHARGED AS FOLLOWS:
A cancellation fee will apply to those who fail to give 48hrs notice prior to their scheduled appointment.
Regular Appointment $50
Physical Appointment $100
Procedure $100 per Unit of Time
Psychotherapy $100 per Unit of Time
Unit of Time = 20 mins
Uninsured Services Clarifications:
1. Revenue Canada Disability Tax Credit forms- Filling the form does not ensure qualification for the program.
2. Fees for Letter on behalf of the patient will depend on the work required.
3. In respecting the patient confidentiality, all the medical information required by a third party need to have a written informed consent from the patient (eg. insurance requests for medical information, lawyers request for copy of medical file, etc).
4. Skin tags and moles as well as warts (other than on the soles and genital) are considered cosmetic, non necessary medical services and are not paid by OHIP. Their fees reflect the cost of the surgical tray, post-op package for wound care and the physician’s professional fee.
Prescriptions, Measurements and Sizing is done right here at Synergy Centre by Certified Sigvaris Technicians.
LEG HEALTH TIPS
How to Play Your Part to Keep Your Legs Healthy:
1. Avoid sitting or standing for long periods of time. Our circulation improves with physical activity, so GET UP! Take a short walk, climb stairs, or make an effort to move around the office and at home. Avoid prolonged sitting or standing as this may increase leg pain and swelling.
2. After a long tiring day, especially during the summer, revitalize your legs with a cool shower or bath. Avoid extended exposure to heat from sunbathing, hot baths, or the sauna as excessive heat will cause your veins to dilate and may induce swelling.
3. Elevate your legs. To boost your body’s natural circulation, elevate your legs while you are sitting on the sofa or lying in bed at home. At the office, keep a leg rest under your desk.
4. Work out. Regular exercise helps keep your body healthy. Some sports are better for improving circulation, such as swimming, walking, biking and yoga.
5. Control your weight. When you manage your weight through a healthy diet and regular exercise, you are more likely to have less leg symptoms and/or less swelling.
6. Wear graduated compression socks and stockings. SIGVARIS quality compression socks and stockings improve venous circulation to prevent and treat venous problems.
SIGVARIS has an assortment of products designed to fit your lifestyle. These products can help improve your circulation, increase your energy and aid in keeping your legs healthy. Your physician, pharmacist or SIGVARIS Certified Fitter can help you determine which SIGVARIS product is right for you. SIGVARIS guarantees the compression level in our products for 6 months.
SIGVARIS graduated compression is medicine you wear. Patients who benefit from graduated compression include:
People who stand or sit for long periods of time daily
People who have been prescribed anticoagulants
People who travel
Women who are pregnant
People who have had a Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
People who experience swelling in their legs and feet
People with varicose and/or spider veins
Welcoming Di Riseborough - Registered Psychotherapist. Please contact the office to book your therapy session.
One solution provided may be Botox Migraine Offered by Dr Maria Tetelbaum
Other Services Utilized within the Facility in order to assist you with your Headache Management.